Here’s some tips to help you enjoy and stay healthy over the festive holiday – steering you away from excess stress;
- Eat well – if you’re contributing food to the party, choose food which has a high protein content (lean meats, cheese etc) to help slow down speed at which alcohol is absorbed
- Mocktails – check out our mocktail recipe blog. Why not create a twist on some of our favourites
- Protein rules – eat/drink protein before alcohol e.g. glass of milk
- Use a napkin – to place food on. If it leaves a greasy mark, it’s probably not the wisest food choice
- Queuing – go to the back of the queue, by the time you get to the food the less healthy options may have been taken
- Be social – if you’re chatting, you’re not eating!
- Take time – allow yourself at least 10mins per day which is your time. A quiet space, a walk, listen to music, a book – this is you time without gadgets. Just relax and remember to breathe deeply
- Yoga/meditation – if you’ve not tried either of these, you may be missing out. Just 10mins per day can make a huge difference to your mental state. Awareness of breathing and applying gentle stretching exercise can reduce tension and intolerant characteristics
- Party animal – be selective which parties you go to or you’ll end up spreading yourself too thinly and being rushed
As you approach the start of 2019 if you’re a goal setting person start to think what you’d like to achieve in 2019. Remembering the SMART goals so they are measurable, realistic, and have a time frame. Don’t forget the reward!
Some of these tips I picked up from the FoodMatters website which I follow https://www.foodmatters.com/article/how-to-stay-healthy-during-the-holiday-season.
Wishing you all a very happy and healthy festive season and 2019.