Here’s some tips to help you enjoy and stay healthy over the festive holiday – steering you away from excess stress;
- Eat well – if you’re contributing food to the party, choose food which has a high protein content (lean meats, cheese etc) to help slow down speed at which alcohol is absorbed
- Mocktails – check out our mocktail recipe blog. Why not create a twist on some of our favourites
- Protein rules – eat/drink protein before alcohol e.g. glass of milk
- Use a napkin – to place food on. If it leaves a greasy mark, it’s probably not the wisest food choice
- Queuing – go to the back of the queue, by the time you get to the food the less healthy options may have been taken
- Be social – if you’re chatting, you’re not eating!
- Take time – allow yourself at least 10mins per day which is your time. A quiet space, a walk, listen to music, a book – this is you time without gadgets. Just relax and remember to breathe deeply
- Yoga/meditation – if you’ve not tried either of these, you may be missing out. Just 10mins per day can make a huge difference to your mental state. Awareness of breathing and applying gentle stretching exercise can reduce tension and intolerant characteristics
- Party animal – be selective which parties you go to or you’ll end up spreading yourself too thinly and being rushed
As you approach the start of 2019 if you’re a goal setting person start to think what you’d like to achieve in 2019. Remembering the SMART goals so they are measurable, realistic, and have a time frame. Don’t forget the reward!
Some of these tips I picked up from the FoodMatters website which I follow https://www.foodmatters.com/article/how-to-stay-healthy-during-the-holiday-season.
Wishing you all a very happy and healthy festive season and 2019.
I founded The Natural Alternative in 2006 with the goal of making healthcare more accessible to employees. I’ve been qualified in Nutrition since 2005, and have almost completed my MSc in Nutritional Medicine with just the dissertation to complete. During my career in nutrition, I have facilitated wellbeing events and seminars for a number of well known complanies, including BP, Vodaphone, Hilton Hotels, Coke and Bloomberg.