Here’s our top tips to help you reduce / avoid jetlag:
- Drink lots of water – Before you leave, during the travel period and once you arrive! This is so important as dehydration is the major cause of the above symptoms
- Refrain from drinking dehydrators – These being coffee and alcohol, they can make you more dehydrated and groggy leading to a weakened immune system
- Exercise – Do this before you get on the plane, this will help you sleep. Once you arrive, try and go for a walk and do some stretching, this will re-energise you
- Come prepared – Bring healthy snacks with you to keep you from reaching for salty junk food. Examples – Healthy fats such as avocado and nuts, protein balls, apple, nut butter, celery, carrots
- Melatonin supplement – I always use this when I travel, it won’t knock you out, but it helps your body prepare for sleep (an eye mask also works wonders to block out the light)
- Wear comfy clothes- It makes you feel cozy which helps you relax and prepare for sleep.
- Probiotic – Bring a probiotic that does not require refrigeration, this will help keep your digestion on track
- Book the red eye flight when possible- This makes it easier to adjust.
- Magnesium- An important supplement to travel with, helps relax the body and prepares you for a good sleep
- Green juice!! Eating away from home can mean you aren’t getting all your servings of fruits + veg, this reassures you are getting what you need and gives you an added boost of energy
Access other health and nutrition tips via valuable health and wellbeing courses online.